Friday, July 17, 2009

The ESPYs

We sports fans watch sports for the drama, the unpredictable ending, the climax and the upset. As I look at other peoples hobbies such as Magic: the game, Star Wars, Harry Potter and the new Twilight craze, I often think "Am I that loser, but with sports?" Then I realize none have the unwritten ending like a Super Bowl or a Game 7. Darth Vader dies, adults hangout at comic shops and vampires fall in love. I guess thats cool.


I tie this into the taping of the ESPYs Wednesday night and the airing on Sunday. There was nothing going on in the sports world on Wednesday except for WNBA games and NBA Summer League. Why wasn't the ESPYs aired live on Wednesday. Even ESPN now airs SportsCenter Live. Not only did they miss the boat on a live broadcast but they gave us the winners on their network before even airing the damn thing. This ruins the sports fans only award show. I have perfected the DVR-ing of a live event and watching it later in the day but to wait half a week to watch the ESPYs?? ESPN does many things right and we love them for that, don't gather the worlds best atheletes in LA for a show and then treat it like the Worlds Strongest Man competition.



It is also unfortunate that they cold not get Justin Timberlake back, he moved from boy band into cool sports comic. I wish they would just re-air last years if I have to be watching a taped event.


So now if I choose to watch the ESPYs on Sunday night I know that Stevie Wonder opens the envelope and "reads" the winner is..........I won't spoil it for those that have nothing to watch this Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. DREW for President!!

    On Sunday, I'll detail my car and watch a movie since they already said everything that I wanted to know about the event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I take offense to your comment about Harry Potter. When was the last time Carl Crawford successfully defeated the world's most powerful dark wizard?

    Oh wait, he has a .311 batting average, you say? Nice...Harry Potter can produce a corporeal patronus. Boooooyah.

    Harry Potter is the MVP of the wizarding world. His bat isn't so much a stout club as a delicate wand made of holly wood with a phoenix feather core. All the same, he is completely badass and fans of the series are...

    ...yeah, we're losers.

    ReplyDelete